This agent has listed the accuracy as: Quite Near
- A most distinguished and historic property dating back to 1932
- Held in family ownership over four generations
- Designed by Albert Clarke, Grandfather of the current owner
- Unique property
- Steeped in history
- Retains many of the original features
- Located in one of the most sought after areas of Portrush
- Six bedrooms
- Three receptions
- Integral garage
- Oil fired heating
Often misquoted, “seldom found on the open market” has never been so relevant. Redsails, 2 Hopefield Avenue, is probably one of the most admired and historic properties located on the North Antrim Coast. The property, having been retained within family ownership for four generations, dates back to 1932.
The house was designed and constructed for Mrs Joanna Hamilton, the Grandmother of the current owner, by Albert Clarke who at the time was not only an architect but also Portrush Council's Town Surveyor. When the house was built, Hopefield Avenue did not yet exist; it was situated on the outskirts of the town next to what was then the Royal Portrush Golf Course. The current vendor's father was Colonel Norman Clarke who was Mayor of Coleraine, Portstewart and Portrush District Council when they were all combined. "Red Sails in the Sunset", the song written by Jimmy Kennedy and made famous by Bing Crosby, refers to the current owner's father's yacht, the "Kitty of Coleraine”.
The yacht was kept in the grounds of the house for circa twenty years and now reappears for viewing by the general public during Portstewart’s annual Red Sails Festival. As selling agents, we are delighted to have been favoured with the instruction, and wholeheartedly encourage internal inspection to truly appreciate this fine period property.
- Entrance Porch:
- with original tiled flooring, original leaded stained glass door and sidelights leading to Entrance Hall.
- Entrance Reception Hallway:
- with original art deco fireplace and hearth, original ceiling coving, under stairs storage cupboard, telephone point.
- Cloaks Cupboard:
- with low flush WC, wall hung wash hand basin, original tiled flooring, sheeted ceiling and wall covering, sash window.
- Drawing Room:
- 4.24m x 4.65m (13'11 x 15'3)
with extensive bay window and window seat, original oak surround fireplace with tiled inset and hearth.
- Morning Room:
- 3.07m x 4.14m (10'1 x 13'7)
with original leaded stained glass windows, original Rayburn stove, door to pantry.
- 1.09m x 2.16m (3'7 x 7'1)
with shelving and tiled floor.
- 2.39m x 5.38m (7'10 x 17'8)
with eye and low level units and tiling between, single drainer stainless steel sink unit, plumbed for dishwasher, space for cooker.
- Dining Room:
- 4.22m x 5.08m (13'10 x 16'8)
with leaded stained glass bay window, oak surround fireplace with tiled inset and hearth, dado rail and original ceiling coving.
- Gallery Landing:
- with bespoke solid oak tuned staircase and matching balustrades leading to inner hall way and access to floored attic via folding ladder.
- Cloaks Cupboard:
- with low flush WC, sheeted walls and ceiling, sash window,
- Master Bedroom:
- 4.5m x 4.65m (14'9 x 15'3)
with leaded stained glass bay window with impressive views over Portrush. Original art deco fireplace.
- Bedroom (2):
- 4.19m x 5.08m (13'9 x 16'8)
with original art deco fireplace, single robe, bay window, dado rail and original ceiling coving.
- Bedroom (3):
- 3.56m x 4.22m (11'8 x 13'10)
with original fireplace, dual aspect windows.
- Bedroom (4):
- 3.33m x 4.17m (10'11 x 13'8)
with original fireplace, double robe, dado rail.
- Bedroom (5):
- 1.98m x 3.56m (6'6 x 11'8)
with original fireplace.
- Bedroom (6):
- 2.87m x 3.33m (9'5 x 10'11)
with original fireplace and picture rail.
- with fully tiled walk in shower cubicle and mains fitting, roll neck cast iron bath with claw feet, pedestal wash hand basin, sheeted ceiling and walls.
- 3.56m x 4.8m (11'8 x 15'9)
with up and over door, light and power.
- Generous front and side gardens laid in lawn bordered with mature hedging, raised flowerbeds with mature planting. Rear Courtyard with paved area, paved and concrete driveway.
How much will it cost?
Most Popular Ranking Today in
Want to increase your views?
Why not Increase Your Views and get twice the exposure as a regular listing!Increase Your Views
Spotted a Problem? Even the best agents make mistakes, help us to maintain accurate property information on our listings. Report a problem »