- Additional Information
- Share This Property
- Personal Notes
- Similar Properties
- One Of North Down's most important private historic residences
- Dating back to 1700, the house stands in quite extensive grounds on the outskirts of Comber
- Set in circa 5 acres of mature grounds
- The property retains many of its fine architectural detailing and qualities including wood floor, fireplaces, plaster cornice and wood panelling
- Five reception rooms including formal drawing room, dining room, morning room, living room and family room
- Large kitchen with bespoke country style painted wooden units from McGowan Kitchens and oil fired 4 oven Aga range, open to casual dining area and double doors to rear patio and gardens
- Five double bedrooms over first and second floor, including master suite with ensuite facilities and dressing room
- Rear return with office and further accommodation adaptable for a number of uses
- Circa 2 acres of formal landscaped gardens including orchard, vegetable garden, summer house, green house plus additional lands in the front field
- Extensive range of outbuildings with potential (subject to relevant planning approvals) for redevelopment to residential accommodation or offices
- Convenient to Comber, Belfast City centre and main arterial transport routes
Additional InformationUndoubtedly one of North Down's most important private historic residences.
Dating back to 1700, the house stands in quite extensive grounds on the outskirts of Comber, and was built originally for the Cairns family, who had a working corn mill in the grounds. The five-bay two storey central block is in origin a late 18th century house with 19th century additions, but the appearance is now wholly Victorian, thanks to the addition in about 1885 of a gabled centrepiece, dormers in the roof, and long single-storey wings with bay windows to either side.
Set in circa 6 acres of mature grounds, the property retains all of its fine architectural detailing and qualities.
The accommodation comprises a spacious wood panelled reception hall, cloakroom, formal drawing room, morning room, formal dining room, living room and family room, country kitchen open to casual dining and rear cloakroom/utility/second kitchen. There is also a rear return built in 1910 that includes an attractive panelled 'School Room' overlooking the rear courtyard and patio area and additional accommodation, adaptable for a number of uses. On the first floor, there are three spacious bedrooms including master suite with private en-suite facilities and dressing room and two bathrooms. On the second floor, there are two further bedrooms with built in wardrobes and additional storage into eaves.
Outside, there are approximately 2 acres of landscaped gardens, including summer house, greenhouse, orchard and vegetable garden, plus additional lands in a paddock and front field.
There are an extensive range of outbuildings including a courtyard and garaging. There may be potential, subject to planning, for the redevelopment of these buildings, to provide private residential accommodation or offices.
The sale of 'Maxwell Court' represents a unique opportunity to acquire an historical period residence set in private mature grounds with delightful rural views, convenient to the Belfast City Centre and main arterial transport routes.
Viewing is strictly by private appointment and is highly recommended.
- ENTRANCE PORCH:
- 3.m x 1.45m (9' 10" x 4' 9")
Double hardwood doors. Wood panelling. Quarry tiled floor. Corniced ceiling.
- ENTRANCE HALL:
- 4.17m x 3.m (13' 8" x 9' 10")
Glazed hardwood front door and glazed side panels. Parquet wooden floor. Wood panelling, corniced ceiling.
- 4.65m x 1.47m (15' 3" x 4' 10")
Storage under stairs. Quarry tiled floor. Storage units.
- SEPARATE WC:
- 2.11m x 1.42m (6' 11" x 4' 8")
High ball WC, wall hung sink unit, heated towel rail. Quarry tiled floor. Recessed low voltage spotlighting, extractor fan.
- MORNING ROOM:
- 6.68m x 3.78m (21' 11" x 12' 5")
Fireplace with carved wood surround, dog grate fire and slate hearth. Parquet wooden floor. Ornate corniced ceiling. Wood panelled walls, glazed display cupboard. Twin built in storage cupboards. Functioning hardwood window shutters. Through to:
- DRAWING ROOM:
- 10.26m x 6.3m (33' 8" x 20' 8")
At widest points. Into bay. Open fire with marble surround, cast iron inset, slate hearth and dog grate fireplace. Solid oak strip wood flooring. Ornate detailed corniced ceiling. Functioning hardwood window shutters. Double French doors opening onto side patio and garden.
- DINING ROOM:
- 9.19m x 6.58m (30' 2" x 21' 7")
Ornate marble fireplace surround, tiled inset with open fire and tiled hearth. Ornate detailed plasterwork cornicing and ceiling rose. Solid Oak strip wood floor. Dado rail. Functioning hardwood window shutters.
- 8.15m x 5.66m (26' 9" x 18' 7")
At widest points. Excellent range of high and low level country style solid wood hand painted units, 4 oven oil fired Aga, twin hotplates and warming plate, plate rack and bookshelves, Belfast sink unit with mixer taps, integrated Bosch dishwasher. Bay window seating with built in storage. Dining area for 6-8 people. Tongue and groove panelled ceiling. Recess for fridge freezer, pantry cupboard, built in storage baskets. Rough cast ceramic stone floor. Glazed double doors through to:
- FAMILY ROOM:
- 5.92m x 3.3m (19' 5" x 10' 10")
Built in storage cupboards. Built in shelving. Double French doors leading onto rear patio. Glazed double doors through to rear hallway. Door through to walk in cupboard with shelving. Door through to:
- BOOT ROOM:
- 5.23m x 2.59m (17' 2" x 8' 6")
Quarry tiled floor. Double doors to rear patio. Built in shelving. Door through to rear staircase.
- PLANT ROOM:
- Lamborghini Oil fired boiler. Quarry tiled floor.
- KITCHEN 2/UTILITY ROOM (TO SERVICE DINING ROOM):
- 5.38m x 3.33m (17' 8" x 10' 11")
Belfast sink unit, plumbed for washing machine and tumble dryer. Built in glazed display unit with shelving. Door into Cold Room/Pantry. Quarry tiled floor.
- LIVING ROOM:
- 5.03m x 4.27m (16' 6" x 14' 0")
Parquet solid wood floor, wall panelling, corniced ceiling, open fire with carved wood surround, copper inset, tiled hearth.
- Staircase with wood panelling to:
- 6.4m x 3.05m (21' 0" x 10' 0")
Bay window with window seating. Views over surrounding gardens. Corniced ceiling, picture rail. Built in hotpress with slatted shelving.
- MASTER BEDROOM:
- 6.71m x 4.09m (22' 0" x 13' 5")
Open fire with cast iron inset and carved wood surround, tiled hearth. Through to:
- ENSUITE BATHROOM:
- 3.3m x 3.25m (10' 10" x 10' 8")
Feature vaulted, corniced ceiling, white suite comprising: Claw and ball roll top bath, low flush WC, fully tiled shower cubicle with fully tiled shower unit and drench shower head. Royal Doulton sink unit with granite top and splashback. Ceramic tiled floor. Through to:
- DRESSING ROOM:
- 4.72m x 3.25m (15' 6" x 10' 8")
Into bay. Views over surrounding gardens. Feature vaulted, corniced ceiling and picture rail.
- BEDROOM (2):
- 6.73m x 4.34m (22' 1" x 14' 3")
Cast iron fireplace with wooden surround, tiled inset and hearth. Solid strip wood flooring, corniced ceiling, picture rail, functioning window shutters.
- DRESSING ROOM:
- 3.35m x 1.6m (11' 0" x 5' 3")
- BEDROOM (3):
- 6.27m x 3.4m (20' 7" x 11' 2")
Built in storage cupboard with hanging rail and shelving. Fireplace, corniced ceiling.
- 4.17m x 3.68m (13' 8" x 12' 1")
White suite comprising: Tongue and groove panelled bath, mixer taps, telephone hand shower, tiled surround, heated towel rail, low flush WC, original ceramic sink unit, tongue and groove panelled ceiling, recessed low voltage spotlighting, corniced ceiling, dado rail. Further storage/hotpress area with slatted shelving.
- BATHROOM 2:
- 3.73m x 2.18m (12' 3" x 7' 2")
Original ball and claw foot roll top bath, ceramic sink unit, fully tiled walls, ceramic tiled floor, heated towel rail.
- SEPARATE WC:
- Fully tiled walls, ceramic tiled floor.
- Doorway through to rear staircase.
- Further storage into eaves. Picture rail, ceiling window.
- BEDROOM (4):
- 4.37m x 4.34m (14' 4" x 14' 3")
Storage into eaves.
- BEDROOM (5):
- 4.29m x 4.01m (14' 1" x 13' 2")
Storage into eaves. Built in drawers and cupboards. Cast iron open fireplace with carved wooden surround, tiled inset and hearth.
First Floor Return/Annex
- Accessed via rear staircase from Boot room area.
- Solid oak strip wood flooring. Corniced ceiling. Picture rail.
- SCHOOL ROOM:
- 5.m x 4.98m (16' 5" x 16' 4")
Original carved wood surround, tiled inset and hearth,antique French pot belly stove, fireplace contains fitted mirrors and panel with Cecil Aldin hunting print Part wood panelling, wood cornicing. Feature original leaded glass window. Carved wood window seat.
- BEDROOM (6):
- 3.63m x 2.44m (11' 11" x 8' 0")
Solid wood flooring.
- BEDROOM (7):
- 3.63m x 2.51m (11' 11" x 8' 3")
Solid wood flooring.
- BEDROOM (9):
- 3.63m x 2.44m (11' 11" x 8' 0")
Solid wood flooring.
- BEDROOM (10):
- 3.63m x 2.39m (11' 11" x 7' 10")
- LUGGAGE ROOM:
- 3.71m x 1.96m (12' 2" x 6' 5")
Quarry tiled floor. Sink unit. Built in storage cupboard.
- Stairs to:
- ATTIC ROOM:
- 13.59m x 4.5m (44' 7" x 14' 9")
Fully floored attic. Solid wood strip flooring. Tongue and groove panelled ceiling.
- Tarmac driveway leading to stone car parking area to front of property with gardens in lawns. Expansive rhododendron shrubs. Extensive gardens in lawns c. 2 acres with trees and shrubs. Wooden summer house overlooking rear gardens. Stone pathways, bordered hedging and walled vegetable garden. Range of additional outbuildings to rear including original Edwardian greenhouse with dining area including fruit trees and two grape vines, perfect for growing various other plants and vegetables. Additional storage sheds and garaging. Accessed via rear courtyard. In additional the rear patio area with stone paving.
- 5.87m x 4.78m (19' 3" x 15' 8")
With 3 further outbuildings.
- POTTING SHED:
- 9.6m x 4.6m (31' 6" x 15' 1")
Direct access to garden. Light and power.
Travelling out of Comber on the Ballygowan Road the entrance to the property is on the right hand side after Ardara Wood.
Add a personal note about this property
You can add your own personal notes about this property.
You can view all your notes by going to My PropertyPal.com.
You can remove this note at any time.
Share this property
How much will it cost?
Most Popular Ranking Today in
Are you selling this property?
Promote your listing on PropertyPal to get more exposure and put your property in front of the right people.
Not your property? Click here to search for your property.
Option 1: Boost It Back
Increase views of your property with a single boost back up the natural listings.
Option 2: Featured Listing
Get one Boost It Back every week for the duration of your order.
Additionally, your property appears as featured at the top of the search results on selected dates and locations.
Option 3: Premier Listing
Get an automatic Boost It Back every week for the next 4 weeks.
Additionally, your property appears as enhanced with extra photos and a description for the lifetime of your listing.
Spotted a Problem? Even the best agents make mistakes, help us to maintain accurate property information on our listings. Report a problem »