Hillhead, 39 Ballyhenry Road, Comber BT23 5JZ
5 Bed Detached house For Sale
This agent has listed the accuracy as: Quite Near
- Georgian country house on eight acres with stunning views of Strangford Lough, Scrabo tower and beyond
- Located just 1 mile from Comber, four miles from Newtownards and a ten minute drive to the outskirts of Belfast
- Many original period features with quality reclaimed additions
- Sash windows with internal shutters
- Oak panelling, stripped doors, bare wood and pitch pine floors, period fireplaces, ceiling roses and cornice
- Four reception rooms
- Farmhouse kitchen with adjacent dining
- Drinks pantry with built in cupboards and Belfast style sink
- Spacious utility room with Belfast style sink and plumbing for washing machine
- Downstairs w.c. and shower room
- Five large bedrooms including master bedroom with en suite shower room and walk in wardrobe
- Family bathroom with period fittings
- Mature gardens including lawns, terraces, flower and shrub beds and wooded areas with fruit trees
- Tarmac lane leading to sweeping gravel driveway
- Brick paved courtyard
- Outbuildings including double garage, five stables, large shed, tack room and outside w.c.
- Railed sand surfaced lunging arena
- Five paddocks surrounding property, 8 acres total site area
A beautiful country house dating back to Georgian times with outbuildings, on eight acres with stunning views panning 360 degrees from Scrabo Tower, through Strangford Lough and from the Mourne Mountains to Cavehill.
This is a spectacular elevated setting and is so conveniently located just ten minutes from the edge of Belfast, a mile from Comber and four miles from Newtownards.
An impressive and charming family home which retains many original period features with additions and improvements carried out over the years using quality reclaimed materials sourced from old schools, churches and reclamation yards, including brass light switches from the original Johnstone House maternity hospital in Belfast and the inner double doors from Ashleigh House girls school.
The living accommodation is extensive with the more formal drawing room and dining room, family room, fabulous kitchen /dining with adjacent drinks pantry and large utility room and a den with shower room and loft bedroom which could also be used as independent accommodation.
Upstairs the five bedrooms are all of good proportions, the master bedroom with spacious walk in wardrobe and en suite and a striking family bathroom with a host of period fittings.
Hillhead is approached by a tarmac lane from the Ballyhenry Road with a gravel driveway sweeping around to front of the house and it sits among 8 acres including the delightful mature gardens, paved courtyard adjacent to the house, outbuildings including double garage, large shed, five stables and five grass paddocks. Many quality thoroughbred horses have been bred here over the years and it's a property that would suit a family with equestrian interests.
Country Houses of this quality so close to Belfast do not come on to the market often and Hillhead may be the opportunity you cannot afford to miss!
- 6.1m x 9.14m (20' 0 x 30' 0)
Comprising three loose boxes
- Foaling box
- 4.62m x 6.05m (15' 2 x 19' 10)
- Run in shed
- 6.1m x 6.55m (20' 0 x 21' 6)
Opening out to rear yard and fields beyond
- Tack room
- 2.13m x 4.37m (7' 0 x 14' 4)
With Belfast style sink and oil fired boiler
- Outside w.c.
- With storage
- Rear Yard
- Back lane leading to rear of outbuildings with stack yard, walled manure heap and access to paddocks. Railed, sand surfaced lunging arena.
- Entrance Hall:
- Staircase with oak spindles and carved newel post, brass stair rods, stripped oak panelled walls and ceilng rose.
- Drawing room
- 4.88m x 4.88m (16' 0 x 16' 0)
White marble fireplace and hearth with Register grate, shuttered windows, bare wood flooring and cornice
- Dining room
- 4.78m x 4.78m (15' 8 x 15' 8)
Cast iron fireplace with pine surround, tiled inset and slate hearth, shuttered windows, bare wood flooring, ceiling rose and cornice
- Family room
- 4.8m x 3.66m (15' 9 x 12' 0)
Cast iron basket grate with pine surround and nursery fender, exposed stone chimney breast, open ceiling with exposed trusses and glazed door leading to garden
- 4.88m x 4.09m (16' 0 x 13' 5)
Exposed stone walls, solid stone floor and period mahogany fireplace with gas inset, feature reclaimed staircase from church pulpit to loft bedroom
- Shower room
- 2.01m x 1.47m (6' 7 x 4' 10)
Period W.C with high cistern and brass pipework, Period wash hand basin in mahogany vanity unit with brass taps, shower cubicle with brass rainfall shower head and reclaimed quarry tiled floor
- Loft bedroom
- 4.88m x 4.09m (16' 0 x 13' 5)
Whitewashed stone walls and exposed beams
- Kitchen/ dining
- 8.53m x 6.71m (28' 0 x 22' 0)
Hand painted kitchen units with brass and ceramic handles, Belfast style sink, Aga range cooker in reclaimed brick chimney breast with side drawer units with granite tops. Reclaimed pine island unit with granite work surface including small ceramic sink, cupboards and drawers. Larder unit, plate racks, integrated American style fridge freezer, slate flooring bay window with church pew seating. Exposed reclaimed brick wall divider unit between kitchen and dining with wooden beam and pine clad support.
The dining area has a bare pitched pine floor, exposed wooden beams, exposed stone walls, a half moon hand painted glass window and glass double doors to garden
- Rear hall
- Quarry tiled floor, double doors to kitchen and stripped pine doors with coloured glass detail to utility room
- Utility room
- 4.57m x 3.96m (15' 0 x 13' 0)
Belfast style sink unit with brass taps, coat hanging space, plumbing for washing machine and quarry tiled floor
- Drinks pantry
- 3.48m x 2.34m (11' 5 x 7' 8)
With reclaimed pine units, reclaimed brick wall, Belfast style sink unit with brass taps, quarry tiled floor and double doors with coloured glass detail to kitchen
- Gallery landing
- With reclaimed oak spindles, newel post and hand rail, study area overlooking front vista, Carved oak fluted columns leading to back landing
- Rear landing
- Hotpress with reclaimed oak doors which were originally the inner doors of Ashley House girls school. Leaded glass skylight
- Master bedroom
- 5.97m x 3.96m (19' 7 x 13' 0)
Railed walk in wardrobe
- 3.66m x 1.75m (12' x 5' 9)
Roll top claw foot bath with brass mixer taps and shower attachment, wash hand basin with brass taps in vanity unit, shower cubicle and W.C.
- Bedroom 2
- 4.57m x 4.5m (15' 0 x 14' 9)
- Bedroom 3
- 4.88m x 4.75m (16' 0 x 15' 7)
- Bedroom 4
- 4.01m x 3.61m (13' 2 x 11' 10)
Period cast iron firebasket
- 4.52m x 1.52m (14' 10 x 5' 0)
Shower cubicle with rainfall shower head, Sanitan W.C. with high cistern, brass pipework and wooden seat, Sanitan wash hand basin on decorative cast iron stand, brass taps, step up to bathing area with pitch pine flooring, roll top bath with free standing brass mixer tap and shower head
- Tarmac lane from Ballyhenry Road, forking to gravel drive sweeping to front of house with parking area and brick paved drive leading to yard.
- Beautiful mature gardens including lawns, flower and shrub beds, wooded areas with apple and plum trees, stone walls, pathways and paved terraces. There are roses covering the front porch, a Virginia creeper adorning the front elevation of the house and hedging in Beech, Laurel and pink Escallonia.
- Wrought iron gates leading to enclosed brick paved yard. Shrub and flower beds adjacent to house and decorative open porch at back door.
- 3.71m x 4.8m (12'2 x 15'9)
- Double garage
- 6.4m x 8.53m (21' 0 x 28' 0)
Two wooden entrance doors with brick arches. Spiral staircase leading to hay loft.
How much will it cost?
Most Popular Ranking Today in
Are you selling this property?
Find out how to make your property stand out more, increase your views and get twice the exposure as a standard listing!
- Get twice the exposure than a standard listing
- Attractive design with banner and additional photographs
- Get to the top of the search results (Featured only)
- Choose the Featured or Premium Option or both
Spotted a Problem? Even the best agents make mistakes, help us to maintain accurate property information on our listings. Report a problem »