- Additional Information
- Contact the Agent
HAMPTON HOUSE, 8 GLENMACHAN PARK, BELFAST, BT4 2PJ
We are delighted to offer one of the finest houses in East Belfast steeped in history yet with a full refurbishment to bring this once derelict Listed Building back to life.
Hampton House is a well-proportioned, detached, four-bay two-storey, rendered Neo-Classical villa, with single-storey entrance porch and projecting canted bays, built 1862, to the designs of Thomas Jackson. The Neo-Classical style is characterised by the shallow hipped roof, raised quoins and fine detailing to parapet and eaves. The building was one of the earliest dwellings designed by Jackson in the east of the city, a list which included Glenmachan Tower, Glenmachan House, Lismachan House and Craigavon House.
Today Farrans have carefully and sympathetically embarked on the full restoration from roofs, windows, floors, walls both internally and externally to offer a 5,000 sqft masterpiece offering comfortable modern living space suitable for the 21st Century with 19th Century architectural heritage.
The house is set on an elevated position within its own landscaped grounds with the benefit of planning permission for two further mews and stable houses. Originally built in the period of Belfast's industrial expansion and previously owned by various members of the city's political ,merchant and professional elite, Hampton House is a good example of a mansion house from the era.
The house will be finished to a turnkey specification ready for occupation.
Full specification list to be confirmed.
Hampton House, a two-storey former gentleman’s villa located in the townland of Ballymaghan, was constructed in 1862. Hampton, which was originally known as ‘Glen Ebor,’ was designed by Thomas Jackson and was one of the earliest dwellings Jackson designed in the area between the 1860s and 1870s.
The second edition Ordnance Survey map (1858) records that the townland of Ballymaghan remained predominantly rural in character during the mid-19th century. The only buildings of note to have been erected in the area before that time were Garnerville and Moat House (HB26/12/026 – the precursor to the current house). With the swift expansion of Belfast’s industries and population in the latter half of the 19th century a number of new suburbs were established for the city’s politicians, merchants and professionals in the eastern townlands of Ballyhackamore, Strandtown and Ballymaghan.
The Dublin Builder records that Glen Ebor was constructed in 1862 as a residence for Jonathan Cordukes, a local provisions merchant with business premises on Victoria Street (UTD), to a design by Thomas Jackson. The Dictionary of Irish Architects describes Jackson (1807-1890) as primarily a domestic architect ‘although he turned his hand to buildings of every type, commercial, industrial, educational and ecclesiastical.’
Prior to undertaking work in the Sydenham area, Jackson had been responsible for the early-19th century suburban development of North Belfast. Jackson took inspiration (and the name - Cliftonville) for the new North Belfast suburb from the development of Bristol’s Clifton Suburb where he had received training. Having established his reputation as one of the leading domestic architects in the city, Jackson became the preferred architect to the town’s merchant elite. Between the 1860s and 1870s Jackson designed a number of suburban villas and mansions in East Belfast that included Glenmachan Tower, Glenmachan House, Lismachan House and Craigavon (DIA; Larmour, p. 33).
The Dublin Builder and DIA note that Glen Ebor was faced with locally-quarried Scrabo sandstone in ashlar courses with Tyrone stone dressings and that the Dublin-based contractor, John Murphy, was responsible for the erection of the building (Dublin Builder, p. 112; DIA).
The Annual Revisions initially valued Glen Ebor at £170 and noted that it was a 1st class building that possessed an entrance porch and billiard room. The building was leased by Sir. Thomas McClure of Belmont House, a local landowner and Member of Parliament, and was depicted on the third edition Ordnance Survey map (1901-02) along its current layout (the map also depicted the outbuildings and courtyard to the east side of the house). John Cordukes resided at Glen Ebor until his death in 1865 (PRONI Wills) at which time the house was acquired by Sir. Samuel Black, Town Clerk for Belfast who worked at the Belfast Municipal Buildings (UTD).
Samuel Black continued to live at Glen Ebor until his own death in 1910 at which point his son Charles William Black took possession of the site. The 1911 census described Glen Ebor as a 1st class dwelling that consisted of 16 rooms and possessed a stable, a coach house and a store amongst its eastern outbuildings. Charles W. Black was also employed as a solicitor and remained at Glen Ebor until his own death in 1932 at which time his widow Wilhelmina came into possession (PRONI Wills). The First General Revaluation of Property in Northern Ireland (1936-57) records that Wilhelmina Black continued to reside at Glen Ebor until her own death in 1939 at which time the Black family leased the house to a Mr. Albert Victor Maunder who remained there until 1958.
HISTORIC BUILDING DETAILS
HB Ref No: HB26/12/057
Date of Construction: 1860 - 1879
KITCHEN - THE HEART OF THE HOME
- Choice of traditional or contemporary styled kitchen in a choice of colours with soft close doors and drawers
- Choice of Corian or Quartz worktops and upstands
- Stainless steel under mounted sink with polished chrome mixer tap
- Feature lighting to underside of wall units
- Branded integrated appliances including electric oven, gas hob, extractor fan, dishwasher, fridge and freezer
- High quality units with choice of door finishes, worktops and handles
- Free standing washing machine and tumble dryer
BATHROOMS AND ENSUITES
- Branded contemporary white sanitary ware with chrome fittings
- Fully tiled shower enclosure with drencher shower head and retractable hand-held shower
- Venture 8 shower doors, with 8mm glass
- Low profile heavy resin shower trays
- Splashback tiling to wash hand basins
- Rimless fully back to wall WC with soft close function
- Shower mixer on bath for rinsing and cleaning
- Bespoke wall mounted 2 drawer soft close vanity units
- Chrome heated towel radiators and demister mirrors
- Energy efficient ceiling mounted pendant lighting throughout
- Pre-wired security alarm system
- Comprehensive range of white slimline electrical sockets and switches
- 5 Amp sockets to lounge and family room
- Mains supply smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup
- USB charging ports in double sockets to kitchen/family room and bedrooms
- CAT 5 cabling to lounge, dining and master bedroom
- Painted internal walls and ceilings – colours to be agreed
- Painted doors, architraves and skirtings
- Deep moulded skirting boards and architraves
- Choice of tiled flooring to hall, kitchen, utility, WC, bathroom and en-suites
- Choice of carpeted flooring with high quality underlay to lounge, dining, study, family room, bedrooms, stairs and landing
- Underfloor heating to ground floor and high output radiators on ground and first floor
- High energy efficiency gas boiler
- Gas fire to lounge, dining room and family room
- Natural slate roof
- Double garage in render finish
- Loose gravel surface driveway
- Seeded gardens to front and rear
- Landscape plan incorporating planting and hedging throughout
- Front and rear external lighting
- Exterior water and electrical supply
- Management company will be formed to maintain communal planted areas
- 10-year conversion warranty provided by NHBC
- The Site Manager will contact you to arrange a meeting on site to discuss the options available and assist regarding the selections for your home
- At the meeting you will be taken through the build process and advised of dates in which all your selections should be returned