- Additional Information
- Sold Prices
- Share This Property
- Personal Notes
Located on the fringe of the popular town of Athboy, Ardeevin comprises an impressive, yet immensely charming residence of character set amidst mature grounds and gardens including a rockery that extend to circa 0.9 of an acre together with out-buildings, including garage, dairy and cowsheds, reminiscent of a goneby era, sited thereon too.
Built in 1938 and being in floor area of some 2,500 sq.ft. or thereabouts, Ardeevin incorporates a detached three-bay two storey house set beneath a hipped slate roof with brick chimneystacks and having a roughcast rendered exterior. It features magnificent full-height bay windows flanking a central bay having recessed porch with round-headed concrete hood and terrazzo threshold. This property is listed forming part of the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage (NIAH). In addition to the usual ancillary rooms, the residence essentially provides three well-appointed reception rooms and at first floor level, there are five bedrooms.
Owing to the presence of the full-height bay windows, the drawing room and the dining room as well as the two principal bedrooms stand out as exceptionally graceful rooms due to their light-filled proportions and decorative features. While refurbishment and retrofitting work will likely be a requirement and aspiration of a buyer, the residence remains in occupation and so it could be a live and work project, allowing a purchaser sufficient time to rebuild their resources, completing their dream family home within their own timeline, budget and style.
A small but vibrant town set within the Boyne Valley, Athboy boasts a wealth of shopping and community facilities, clubs and amenities to cater for its increasing population. These include both primary and post primary schools as well as creche, supermarkets, pharmacies, bank, credit union, hotels, hostelries, tennis and basketball courts, a library, GAA pitches, rugby and soccer pitches together with an array of community and recreational groups.
Athboy on the N51 is located 18km from Navan and within easy commuting distance of Dublin which lies just 58km to the south-east. The nearby heritage towns of Trim, with its magnificent ruins of King Johns Castle, and Kells offer further shopping and recreational facilities both lying 13km distant from the town respectively. This is a popular location with city commuters with the M3 being only 14.5km away.
Fibre broadband availability in the area
Family home of immense charm and character
Five bedrooms and three reception rooms
Many original features throughout
Built 1938 and being of architectural merit
3 bay two-storey house with magnificent full-height bay windows
Recessed porch with round-headed concrete hood and terrazzo threshold
Floor area c. 2,500 sq.ft., otherwise c. 233 sq. metres
Double glazed windows
Oil fired central heating
Outbuildings include garage, dairy and cowsheds
Set on spacious mature site, c. 0.9 of an acre
Mains utility services
Conveniently located on the fringe of Athboy
Extensive facilities locally including shops, schools and recreational outlets
Much unexploited potential
Ardeevin is approached from the road through both pedestrian and vehicular entrances over a pebble driveway, flanked on either side by gardens, sweeping by the side and around the house leading to the front and rear entrances as well as to the outhouses. There is a roughcast rendered roadside wall and both entrances are gated being secured by cast-iron entrance gates. The grounds are largely laid under lawns with some fine trees including a wonderful Araucaria araucana (otherwise monkey puzzle) that provide for shelter, privacy and colour. The grounds are further decorated by various shrubs and flowers. The outhouses include a lofted garage, coal house and dairy building with single storey cowshed appended to the rear together with another separate cowshed, all of which could be repurposed for a multitude of uses.
Eircode: C15 D578
From Navan, proceed on the N51 to Athboy continuing straight, travel up through the town, passing the Darnley Lodge Hotel. Continue straight ahead passing St. James' Church beyond which Ardeevin is located 350 metres on the right hand side.
From Mullingar, take the N52 northwards towards Dundalk continuing to the village of Delvin where you turn right onto the N51 towards Athboy. Continue on the N51 for some 12km whereupon the property can be seen on the left hand side.
Viewing is strictly by prior appointment through our office, telephone 046 9022100.
- Entrance porch
- With Terrazzo flooring and a beautiful original front door with original stained glass.
- Entrance hall
9.13m x 1.97m
- Original parquet flooring and wood panelling on walls, ornate architrave moulding and centre rose, understairs storage.
- Drawing room
4.56m x 4.23m
- Delightful south facing room with Bow bay window allowing an abundance of natural light in, original tiled fireplace with open fire, ornate architrave and centre rose. French doors to garden.
- Breakfast room
4.24m x 3.82m
- Solid original timber flooring and dado rail, marble surround fireplace with open fire.
- Dining room
4.54 x 4.24
- South facing room with feature Bow bay window allowing an abundance of natural light in, original tile surround fireplace, wall and centre lights, ornate architrave and centre rose.
4.23m x 3.8m
- Built in wall and floor units, oil fired Tirolia range, original quarry tile floor and tiled splash back.
3.23m x 2.27m
- Built in floor units, plumbed for washing machine and dryer, door to rear.
3.23m x 1.78m
- Built in wall and floor units, storage shelving.
- Guest wc
- Wc & wash hand basin, feature Terrazzo flooring.
- Spacious landing with extensive wood panelling, attic access and alarm panel.
- Bedroom 1
4.26m x 4.56m
- Large south facing double room to the front with Bow bay window, sink unit and original fireplace.
- Bedroom 2
4.26m x 4.56m
- Large south facing double room to the front with Bow bay window, original fireplace and alcove sink unit.
- Bedroom 3
4.24m x 3.82m
- Double room with original fireplace, wash hand basin and built in alcove wardrobe.
- Bedroom 4
4.26m x 3.52m
- Double room with original fireplace, wash hand basin and built in alcove wardrobes.
- Bedroom 5
2.90m x 1.97m
- Single room to the front.
3.18m x 2.83m
- With wash hand basin, bath and corner shower, incorporates hotpress, Terrazzo flooring. Separate wc.
Share this property
Add a personal note about this property
You can add your own personal notes about this property.
You can view all your notes by going to My PropertyPal.com.
You can remove this note at any time.
Notes can only be seen by you and any pals you have added, they cannot be viewed by the vendor or estate agent.
Spotted a Problem? Even the best agents make mistakes, help us to maintain accurate property information on our listings. Report a problem »